Come volunteer with us!
Sometimes the most valuable gift one can give is the gift of time. Volunteer founded and volunteer led, YMCA Camp Hi-Rock is a community-based organization that depends on the generosity and dedication of hundreds of volunteers each year to help make the camp experience a tremendous success for all.
Camp Hi-Rock welcomes volunteers of all ages and has a wide variety of volunteer opportunities to match your passion, skills and schedule. Volunteers are a critical working part of camp who change lives for the better through their efforts! Camp offers volunteers a chance to improve the lives of children and families either in their home town or at camp itself. Come visit camp or make a difference where you live!
Volunteer opportunities at Camp Hi-Rock vary greatly in terms of commitment and intensity level. They range from one-time commitments such as helping at a volunteer work weekend to longer-term opportunities including belonging to a committee or serving as a fundraising volunteer.
There are lots of ways to volunteer for Camp Hi-Rock!
- Volunteer Work Weekends where we use our time and talent to improve camp for all
- Annual Campaign – where every dollar raised provides financial assistance to those in our community who would not have the chance to experience YMCA Camp Hi-Rock any other way. There are many ways to help every year with this initiative.
- Various Committees
- Board of Managers – this group gives their time to ensure that Camp Hi-Rock is the best that it can be for now and into the future.
- Become a representative for Camp Hi-Rock to our Corporate Board of Directors with the Central Connecticut Coast YMCA
- Hi-Rock Stars – where campers can volunteer and give back to the camp where skills are developed and memories formed
- and more….
Benefits of Volunteering with the YMCA
Volunteering with the YMCA not only enhances the lives of others and makes our communities stronger, but it can also truly impact the life of the volunteer. In addition to feeling great about their contribution, volunteers have the opportunity to:
- Experience personal growth
- Give back to the community through service to others
- Explore and/or discover a known or hidden passion
- Be part of something larger than themselves
- Expand knowledge and skills through experience and training
- Increase confidence and leadership abilities
- Enhance professional capabilities and qualifications
- Deepen existing relationships and make new friends from all walks of life
- Gain community service experience for school credit, or to add to college, financial aid, scholarship and employment applications
- Learn, grow and HAVE FUN!
Hi-Rock Stars: A Service Club at YMCA Camp Hi-Rock
Belonging to Hi-Rock Stars is a way for campers and their friends to get involved in volunteering and fundraising. Hi-Rock Stars have an opportunity to be leaders within the Hi-Rock community as well as their own home town. Members will work to achieve a volunteer or fundraising goal and are encouraged to contribute their ideas and efforts to advance Hi-Rock’s mission to build strong kids, strong families and strong communities. These inspiring campers demonstrate contagious enthusiasm for helping strengthen the place they will always call their camp.
Funds raised through the efforts of the Hi-Rock Stars will go to the Annual Campaign. The Annual Campaign supports Camp Hi-Rock’s youth programs and provides financial assistance to campers and families who would not otherwise be able to attend camp. All of Camp Hi-Rock benefits from the Annual Campaign whether through the enhanced youth programs or the company of our friends who may have never come to camp without the opportunities provided by the campaign.
Campers and friends may join the Hi-Rock Stars in one of the following ways:
- Volunteer at Camp Hi-Rock for at least 12 hours over the course of the year.
- Plan and put together a fundraising project that raises at least $100 for the Annual Campaign. (Group projects of up to four people must raise at least $200) Fundraising pages should be set up through firstgiving.com/camphirock.
Campers must fulfill one of the four requirements each year to maintain membership.
Volunteer Work Weekends
There are always opportunities to repair, spruce up or build new equipment at camp and with teams of volunteers it can be fun and energizing!!! It is amazing what can be done when many people work with a common vision. Twice a year we hold volunteer work weekends for campers, alumni, staff, families and community members to lend a hand to Hi-Rock. Volunteers receive free food and lodging in exchange for their help on various projects around camp. Participants can volunteer for a few hours or for the whole weekend. We have projects for all ability levels. If you are interested in volunteering for a work weekend, please contact Heather Neaz-Nibur.
Fall Work Weekend: November 2nd-4th 2018
Please join us for a great weekend with fellow Hi-Rockers. We’ll be getting camp ready for winter, tackling some important camp improvement projects and enjoying catching up with Hi-Rock friends. We’ll have jobs for all skill levels. Accommodations and meals will be provided. Children who would like to join us must be accompanied by a parent or other supervising adult. Volunteers are welcome for all or part of the weekend. Meals served will include Friday dinner through Sunday lunch. Work projects will conclude Sunday morning by noon. Housing with heat is limited and it may be chilly so please register online. Once the housing with heat is full we won’t be able to accept any overnight volunteers.
Once you have clicked the above link, you will be able to create a profile and request any additional information. Once your profile is created, you will be directed to your profile and will be able to complete your group registration request.
(If you have attended a Camp Hi-Rock event since 2015, i.e. Family Camp, Fall Family Fun Weekend, etc., you already have a profile on the Events Dashboard)
Once you have clicked the above link, please click “What’s my password” to reset your password if needed. You will be sent an email with details for how to log in.
We’ll do our best to have some indoor projects but there will surely be work to do outside. Please bring warm clothes. We promise to have lots of tea, hot chocolate and cider!
The Annual Campaign relies on volunteers to help raise critical funds which subsidize our youth camp programs and provide financial assistance to campers who would not otherwise be able to attend camp. There are many ways to be involved with the campaign including setting up a personal online fundraising page at firstgiving.com/camphirock, participating in phone-a-thons to call friends of Hi-Rock and ask for their support, calling or writing to friends of Hi-Rock from your own home to ask for their support, and soliciting and donating items to be used in auctions to support the campaign. To find out more about helping with the Annual Campaign please contact Jessica Speer-Holmes.
Find Out More!
If one of these volunteer opportunities interests you or you want to chat about other possibilities, please give us a call at 413-528-1227 or email Jessica Speer-Holmes. We would love the chance to have you come volunteer with us!
Come join in the fun!